Copyright 2021 @ Cryptocurrency NZ
New Zealand's Crypto Community Portal
New Zealand is home to an active, friendly and rapidly evolving crypto community. From Kaitaia to Bluff there’s a number of ways you can connect and collaborate with other crypto enthusiasts across NZ.
Whether you’re a crypto investor, holder, trader, developer, miner, or just getting started, you can almost always find other Kiwis interested in the same areas of crypto as you.
Local Cryptocurrency Meetups
Local Cryptocurrency Groups
Join the conversation in one of New Zealand’s Facebook, Reddit or Discord groups.
NZ Crypto Statistics & Facts
- According to the Digital 2020 report, an estimated 3.7% of New Zealanders own Bitcoin or other cryptocurrency.
- Cryptocurrency NZ guesstimations range between 1 – 1.5%.
- Leading blockchain analysis firm Chainalysis ranks NZ 63rd of 154 in global crypto adoption by country.
- Despite needed improvements, New Zealand is one of the most crypto friendly nations in the world, in terms of regulations.
- In August 2019 NZ became the first country to provide regulatory guidelines on how businesses can pay employees in crypto.
- Although not recognised as legal tender by the NZ government, cryptocurrencies are protected assets under New Zealand law.
- New Zealand is home to 1 Bitcoin ATM at the Dogs Bollix bar in Auckland – also ground zero to NZ’s oldest running crypto meetup founded in 2014.
- New Zealand’s Bitcoin subreddit r/NZBitcoin has over 3,000 members and counting.
- Cryptopia was founded in Christchurch in 2014, a now defunct cryptocurrency exchange who once boasted 1.4 million users worldwide.